Rural Water Treatment
Access to clean drinking water continues to be a challenge in many developing countries. It’s a sad fact that people still suffer and die due to water-borne diseases. Pristine Water has partnered with several Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) operating in the rural water treatment development sector all over the world. Through these organizations, Pristine Water systems provide clean safe drinking water to the Rural and Urban poor.
Electro chlorinator, which is the flagship product of Pristine Water, is a system that can produce a strong disinfectant from common salt, water, and electricity. In areas where electricity is unavailable, the Electro chlorinator can also run on solar power. These low cost systems are simple to install and operate and use natural and simple consumable- just sat and water. These systems along with the required education, training, and guidance, form a part of the Safe Water Systems program in rural areas.
The strategy is to make water safe through disinfection and safe storage at the point of use. The point-of-use treatment of contaminated water, using sodium hypochlorite generators to produce the disinfectant at the community level and distribution of the same to the rural population takes care of the availability of chlorine disinfectant easily to all homes. It also generates employment and self-sufficiency as the disinfectant is produced on-site with just water, salt, and electricity, rather than buying chemicals or pellets from chemical vendors.
The CDC website states*, “There are several advantages in using a hypochlorite generator. First, the local production of sodium hypochlorite minimizes transportation costs. Second, in the event, there is not a reliable bleach producer in the country. The hypochlorite generator can provide the capacity. Third, revenues from the sale of the solution can help support the operation. It can also help towards the maintenance of the machine and to pay the operator.”
Some of our Rural water treatment projects:
- United Nations, Afghanistan – Supplied Solar based Electro chlorinators for producing Sodium Hypochlorite for Hospitals and Schools
- Catholic Relief Services, Madagascar – Supplied Solar based Electro chlorinators for producing Sodium Hypochlorite for rural villages. After the first supply was made, we received another order which was executed successfully.
- Care International, Madagascar – Supplied Solar based Electro chlorinators for producing Sodium Hypochlorite for rural villages.
- International Committee of Red Cross – Supplied Electro Chlorinators for Jorden
- Pardada Pardadi Educational Society, Anupshahr, Bulandshahr , U.P. India – For providing disinfected drinking water to the Rural poor.
- Enactus India – Through their initiative through SRCC donated Electro chlorinators for producing Sodium Hypochlorite, which were distributed among the urban poor at the out skirts of Delhi, India